Pumpkin Mac & Cheese
- 8 oz uncooked macaroni or other pasta
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 oz (about 4 Tbsp) 1/3-less-fat neufchatel cream cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated gruyere cheese (can sub in any good melting cheese, such as monterey jack)
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 – 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper, or more depending on heat preference
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, whisk together and heat pumpkin puree and milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat until hot.
- Reduce stove heat to low. Whisk in cheeses until fully melted.
- Stir in nutmeg and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir drained pasta into the pumpkin-cheese sauce and mix until thoroughly combined.
- At this point, the mac & cheese might appear a bit soupy. If this is the case, let the mixture sit off of the heat for a few minutes. The cheese sauce will firm up as it slightly cools.
- Serve with an extra dusting of nutmeg, if desired.