Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Halloween for Beginners

Seasonal decorating is something I have done since I was a child. I used to hang glittered hearts on our windows for Valentine's Day, cut out shamrocks for St. Patty's, and was very particular about the arrangement of the ornaments on our Christmas tree for as long as I can remember. Many of my friends seem to get exhausted just looking at my boxes of decorations. I am always questioned about the time, or the effort put into seasonal decorating and hosting parties. These surroundings and parties are what make my life so rich. Sharing the passing years with friends throughout the seasons makes my heart sing. I encourage everyone to start collecting some seasonal decor- once you have it the excuses to host people in your home will start to come more and more. The more you love your home, and the more it feels like a celebration, the easier it gets to have gatherings with loved ones and make memories.

Try decorating a small area of your home. As you walk past the new scenery in your space, the seasonal spirit will stay with you more through your day. I find the soul needs to change with the time of year, and why not?! A great excuse to be creative and have some fun with life.



The fireplace mantle is a great place to decorate for beginners. The area is small and attention is automatically drawn to the space no matter what is displayed. Take down any frames, candles or vases and see how you can change them for the season. Construction paper can be wrapped around most home accessories, add some crows or spray painted branched with spiders and cob webs to add some spook to your home.








Find any space in your house that you can decorate for the holiday. Place pumpkins in a corner, on the landing of your stairs or on the counter in a guest bathroom.


No comments:

Post a Comment