For contrast, the wooden floors are stained in a custom mix of ebony and dark walnut shades; the high-gloss polyurethane top coat reflects even more light.
Get the look: Wall paint is Decorator’s White eggshell with semi-gloss trim throughout (benjaminmoore.com for stores) Kitchen tile is ceramic 3- by 6-inch in white K101 (daltile.com for stores)
Sunset Magazine's Small-home secrets
1. Paint all the rooms the same light hue. Match flooring and other shared surfaces for a seamless look.
2. Build in storage cupboards with doors and invest in a closet-organizing system―“worth the splurge to keep the house neat,” says Hart.
3. Install inexpensive wall pegs to make cleanup a snap and keep frequently used items at the ready.
4. Choose easy-stow guest seats for living areas.
5. Create several places in the backyard to lounge and entertain―especially if you live in a relatively warm area.
6. Reevaluate your belongings every few months. Donate, recycle, or discard what’s not needed.